DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) - Albany firefighters responded to a fire that broke out inside a mobile home Thursday morning.
Firefighters were called to the home in the 6000 block of Jenkins Road around 8:00 a.m.
Malinda Rachel was on her way to school around 8 Thursday morning when she says she got a frightening call from her mom, saying her home of 7 years was in flames.
" It was very scary, just never would have though the morning would have ended this way," said Malinda Rachel, who has lived at the home for 7 years.
Her mom and son were inside the home when the fire broke out, but all 7 of the family members and pets who live there made it out safely. "My son was in there but mom was luckily able to get him out. They were both out and safe by the time we got home," said Rachel.
Once firefighters got the flames under control, they source the cause to the Heating and Cooling unit outside the home. It left severe damage to the roof and outside of the home, but some of their items inside may be salvaged.
" It went in through duct work and up the exterior of the wall and into the attic. So, majority of the fire was in the duct work and the attic," said Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow. Rachel says so far, the community has provided great support for her family. Even Dougherty County Commissioner Anthony Jones stopped by.
"Everybody was good and the community's been good to us so far," Rachel added.
The Red Cross is providing shelter for the family until they can find another place to stay.