Weekend house fire blamed on cooking - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Weekend house fire blamed on cooking

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

A weekend fire in Valdosta was being blamed on cooking Monday.

Around 6:30 p.m. Saturday, a fire broke out in the kitchen at 5247 Branch Point Dr. The family of four that lives there was home at the time but was able to get out safely.

Damage was being estimated at about $35,000 Monday.

Valdosta Fire Department Battalion Chief Brian Boutwell said an unattended pot on the stove was the source of the fire. "Fire units got on scene and saw that the fire had originated in the kitchen, extended out into the garage area. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire," Boutwell explained.

The Red Cross was called in to provide the family with a temporary place to live.

Copyright 2015 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly