VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) - An elderly Valdosta man was planning to stay with family Monday night after his house nearly burned to the ground Monday morning.
WALB was on scene minutes after the fire broke out.
As smoke billowed from 204 Miles St. around 10:30 a.m. Monday, firefighters worked to put out any remaining hot spots from the fire that started inside about 10:15 a.m. and to make sure the resident who lived there was okay.
"He stated that he was in his living room and heard some commotion comin' from the bathroom," explained Valdosta Fire Department Battalion Chief John Robinson. "When he went in to investigate, he seen fire in the bathroom."
Neither the man who lives at the home nor any neighbors wanted to go on camera, but a man who was working on the home next door told WALB he pulled the man away from the home when the man tried to go back inside while the home was still on fire.
Monday afternoon, firefighters still had not determined the cause of the fire. "At this time, we're unsure. It's under investigation," said Robinson.
The home will likely be unlivable until the damage can be repaired, but it's also likely that the home is not a total loss. "Probably not a total," Robinson said, "but that's not for us to decide. That's insurance."
But, if it hadn't been for the quick response of the firefighters the home may well have been a total loss. And, if it wasn't for the awareness of the man next door, there could've been much more lost than just the home.