A Colquitt County family is thankful they're all okay tonight after they lost everything in an early morning house fire. Firefighters were called out twice to put out flames at the home on Ellenton Norman Park Road. The family is now looking for a place to live.
Flames destroyed a home on Ellenton Norman Park Road. Juan DelAngel with the Ellenton Volunteer Fire Department co-owns the home with his brother-in-law, Arnulfo Brito, who was inside during the time of the fire.
"We got the call a little after 4 o'clock this morning," said James Sutton, Ellenton Volunteer Fire Dept Chief. "When we got here it was totally engulfed."
Six people were inside at the time of the fire, the youngest only 2 and a half years old. Brito's 19-year-old daughter was sleeping in the back room near the laundry room when she alerted the family that their home was in flames.
"On the back side of the house he had a laundry room and we feel like that's where it originated," said Sutton.
Everyone was able to make it out safely through the front door. Two other County fire departments were called in to help put out the fire through difficult weather conditions.
"It was mighty windy and it had a double roof system on it and it was virtually impossible to get the fire out between the two roofs," said Sutton.
Firefighters returned to the home seven hours when the fire sparked up again. The roof collapsed and fire officials believe there is nothing more that can be done to save the home.
"This was a rekindle, we got a call back out here," said Sutton. "It was pretty well engulfed again and we're just letting it burn out this time."
No one was hurt in the fire. The Brito family is now staying with a relative. You can make donations to the Brito family by calling Arnulfo Brito at 229-848-8266.