ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany Fire investigators say that someone apparently trying to live in a vacant house was stealing electricity from the city, and that is the root of what caused a major fire Thursday morning.
They say space heaters were found in the house, and they suspect an electrical shortage ignited the flame.
Firefighters were called to the fully involved house fire on West 2nd Avenue near Washington Street, about 7:00AM. AFD investigated the fire as a possible arson case.
Arriving crews found the roof of the house collapsing. Heavy, dark smoke could be seen from downtown.
Traffic was blocked in the area from Jackson to Washington.