Two displaced in early morning Omega blaze - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Two displaced in early morning Omega blaze

OMEGA, GA (WALB) -

Multiple fire departments have responded to battle a fire at a home near the Colquitt, Tift county line early Monday morning.

Fire crews were called to a fully involved structure in the 300 block of C. A. Hardy Road near Omega, around 4:15.

Sam Stevens of the American Red Cross says the resident smelled smoke then saw fire coming out the back of the house.

"They had smoke inside the house, they had smoke detectors but they didn't go off. Fortunately, he woke up and he and his wife got out," Stevens said.

The couple was able to escape with their dog however one cat was found dead inside and the other has not been located. The American Red Cross is assisting.

There is no word on how the fire was sparked, firefighters are still investigating.

Copyright 2015 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly