Crisp County pounded by overnight storm - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Crisp County pounded by overnight storm

CORDELE, GA (WALB) - Some roads around south Georgia are shut down tonight following heavy rainfall. Crisp County had some of the worst rain.

A Ford ranger driving through Williams Park in Cordele leaves behind ripples instead of tire marks.

Sheriff Billy Hancock says it's one of places hit hardest by the overnight storm

"280 had the westbound lane of it closed, but as far as concentration, was inside the city limits over on second avenue, third avenue, in between about third street and fourth street," said Crisp County Sheriff Billy Hancock.

"There used to be a road on the other side of the mailboxes."

No one knows that quite like this family--their cars halfway underwater; their yard littered with trash floating through the park.

"I came out here and looked around and i was like, oh my god, there's like so much water out here," said Candy Gerow.

"I thought she was exaggerating. She wasn't exaggerating," said mother Jane Thornton.

The rain was still coming down at 11 this morning, slowly creeping up the steps and tires of their biggest possessions.

"I'm more worried about the house than the cars. They're replaceable, but you're life isn't," said Thornton.

City and county crews were fighting the flood all night as nearly 5 inches of rain pounded Crisp County.

"They went in to make sure everybody was safe in their homes; see if we needed to turn electricity off; see if there was anybody in there that need medical help that we needed to get out.

Water ran over roads, up porches, and out of drain pipes.

"Been here two year now, and maybe 3 or 4 inches on the tires of the vehicle, but that's it. This is really crazy," said Thornton.

This family is sticking out the storm though, just praying it stops.

"Just hopefully it will go down," said Gerow.

When it comes to Mother Nature, that's all you can do.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly