Albany Fire Department reminds people about space heater safety - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany Fire Department reminds people about space heater safety

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

The Albany Fire Department is reminding people how to properly use their space heaters.

Fire officials said space heaters are designed to heat small areas for a short period of time.

They said space heaters should not be placed near paper, combustible fabric and children.

Fire officials said it's also important to watch where you plug in your space heaters.

" So if you are using a space heater, make sure that you've got a dedicated area that you can plug it into. Because they do have a tendency to over amp the breakers and the fuse if you've got a space heater and several other appliances plugged in,” Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose, Albany Fire Department.

Fire officials said to make sure your space heater has an anti-tip device that cuts off the power if it falls over and to always unplug your space heater if you're leaving your home.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly