Kitchen fire in Valdosta sends homeowner to the hospital - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Kitchen fire in Valdosta sends homeowner to the hospital

The fire broke out around 3 p.m. in the kitchen of the home at 1706 N. Lee Street The fire broke out around 3 p.m. in the kitchen of the home at 1706 N. Lee Street
Edgar Tooley Edgar Tooley
VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

Cooking is being blamed for causing a house fire that injured one person in Valdosta.

The fire broke out around 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon in the kitchen of the home at 1706 North Lee Street. The homeowner was the only person inside at the time and was able to get out safely, but was taken to the hospital to be treated for burns.

"The resident appeared to be cooking and had a fire on the stove. He attempted to remove the pot from what we were told and he received burns on his arm and his chest area," explained Valdosta Fire Department Lieutenant Edgar Tooley.

The home itself is not a total loss, but the kitchen was completely destroyed and will have to be repaired before the home is livable. Damage is estimated at around $5,000 dollars.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly