ALBANY, GA (WALB) - In light of the many fires we've seen in Albany caused by food left cooking on the stove, the Albany Fire Department is encouraging you to be safe while cooking Thanksgiving dinners, and that goes for Christmas, too.
They held their annual Thanksgiving dinner at different stations throughout Albany Thursday.
Firefighters say don't leave your stoves unattended.
Also, keep pot handles on the inside of the stove, to lessen the risk of knocking over food, which could cause burns.
"Keeping oven mitts, paper towels, and things like that off of the stove. Also, when you're handling your pots and pans, you want to use oven mitts to prevent burns on your hand," said Albany Firefighter Eric Graham.
They also say your turkey should be thawed out before placing it into the deep fryer.