Firefighters urge caution with turkey fryers

Firefighters urge caution with turkey fryers

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Firefighters warn that frying a Thanksgiving turkey can be a fire hazard if you are not careful.

Albany Firefighters demonstrated the danger for us.

When they dipped a frozen turkey in hot grease in a turkey fryer, it set off a violent reaction of flames.

Firefighters say on too many Thanksgivings, they respond to emergency calls because of turkey fryers.

Albany Fire Department Lt. Casey Melton said "Oh year, I've been to several calls on Thanksgiving where people had fires trying to fry turkey.  The main reason they had the fire is they used a frozen turkey rather than defrosting it."

Firefighters remind you only to cook with a fryer in a well ventilated area that's not too close to your home.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.