Fireplace blamed for Worth County fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fireplace blamed for Worth County fire

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A Worth County man's home was destroyed by a fire as he tried to stay warm early Tuesday morning.

It took Worth County firefighters an hour and a half to put out the roaring fire in a mobile home on Oak Drive.

They're now working with the Red Cross to help Hubert Moore recover.

Moore was watching TV with wood burning in the fireplace when he says the fire broke out in the wall next to the fireplace.

“So I grabbed the basket of clothes and jumped in my truck that I had parked in front of the door back it up and moved it away and then the flames were coming from the fireplace and the front of the house there and I said Lord, I'm going to lose everything,” said Moore.

“There may be some family or friends that want to drop clothes, money, food and we'll put it here and locked it up and store it,” said Thomas Whittington.

Moore says he doesn't have insurance and won't rebuild.

He plans to live in a camper he owns.

The Worth County Fire Department is collecting donations to help.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly