Fire officials offer tips on safely heating your home - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials offer tips on safely heating your home

LOWNDES CO., GA (WALB) -

With frigid temperatures predicted for much of South Georgia next week, fire officials in Lowndes County are reminding residents to heat their homes safely.

Paige Duke, spokesperson for the fire department, said if you're going to use a fireplace make sure you know whether your fireplace is built to burn gas logs or wood logs. If you're using a space heater, make sure it meets current safety standards.

"One of the most common things we see here in Lowndes County," Duke explained, "are people burning wood in fire place inserts that are only rated for gas logs. This can cause a build up of gas in the wall that can actually explode your mantle. It causes attic fires and those are very difficult to stop."

There are more than 23,000 home fires nationwide each year caused by heating sources.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly