Safe air in your home

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Many of you may have turned on your heat for the first time this season over the weekend.

That often leads to an odor like something is burning.

Technicians with Safe air say it's usually just dust burning off the heating unit... but it could be a sign of something more serious.

If you have gas heat, they recommend you have a carbon monoxide detector because coils can crack and leak deadly fumes that are odorless and colorless.

Safe air suggests you get your units inspected at least once a year.

Safe Air Vice President Clay Carr says “you need to have them cleaned. The outdoor coils can have dust, dirt from the summer operation and you won't be able to draw as much heat out of the air in the winter if that coil is dirty."

Clay Carr says to make sure you have the proper filter for your type of unit and change them once a month.

Copyright 2014
.  All rights reserved.