Family loses everything in fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Family loses everything in fire

Jamie Simpson Jamie Simpson
Amanda Griffin Amanda Griffin
NORMAN PARK, GA (WALB) - A Norman park family is heartbroken after a fire destroyed everything in their home while they were trick or treating Friday night.

The Simpson family was very excited to trick or treat with their two young boys for the first time, but while they were gone, their home was destroyed.

Jamie Simpson says she couldn't believe her house was on fire at first, but knows it could have been a lot worse.

"This is a blessing in disguise, and that we can rebuild, we can replace most of the things in there. We are just very grateful that all of us weren't here and that we survived," said Jamie Simpson home owner.

They lost all of their belongings including their pet dog Dixie. Simpson says an electrical fire started in their kitchen, then swarmed the rest of their house. Leaving them with nothing, but the clothes on their back.

Her neighbor, Amanda Griffin, noticed the flames and called 911 and she tried to help.

"She's not only my neighbor, she's like my sister. Knowing that I couldn't do more, it really, really hurt me," said Griffin.

Simpson says she is speechless with all of the support their family has received from the community. "We went from losing everything to gaining wonderful things from wonderful people... It's just amazing how people come together for this...."

She was blown away with the response of the fire departments involved and is grateful for all the help.

"Thank you, to everybody that has helped," she said.

If you would like to help the Simpson family CLICK HERE


Copyright  2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly