ALBANY, GA (WALB) - We now know how fire broke out inside an Albany family's home Saturday night.
Firefighters put out flames at the home in the 1100 block of Avalon Street before 11 p.m. Saturday night. Four people from 2-years-old to 54-years-old were inside the home when they smelled fire and were able to make it out safely. Firefighters found a small fire in the wall around the electricity box inside the home. They immediately shut off power to the home and used 10 gallons of water to put out the fire.
"On Investigation we found out that an unspecified short around the panel box caused the fire. At this time the damage and all was to the panel box and to the wall," Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose, Albany Fire Department.
Firefighters called Water, Gas and Light officials to come out and secure the meter to the home. Residents say the fire caused smoke damage to their clothing.