Cuthbert Police search for bold 'hole in the wall' burglars - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Cuthbert Police search for bold 'hole in the wall' burglars

CUTHBERT, GA (WALB) -

Cuthbert Police are looking for two bold burglars who broke through the wall of a convenience store and got away with 11,000 dollars worth of cash and cigarettes. They managed to elude police. The entire break-in was all caught on surveillance video which was captured on several cameras.

At first glance; the surveillance video inside Village Peddlers in Cuthbert makes it appear as if packages of drinks are moving on their own. Then, moments later, you see what's really happening. A masked man in camo and gloves appears, before quickly jumping back through the hole that police say was made with a sledgehammer.

After an alarm sounds, a police car quickly arrives to check on the front of the business. As soon as they leave, the brazen burglar waiting outside and another masked man in red re-enter through the hole.

That's when the thieves ransacked the convenience store, getting away with thousands of dollars worth of cash and merchandise.

"Once in, they removed $11,000 that was in the safe," said Chief Bobby Wiggins, Cuthbert Police. "They also took cigarettes and a few other small little things."

The two thieves leave behind a big mess but make a quick, clean getaway. Two weeks later, police now have an idea who the man in the red shirt is and they believe he may be in Albany.

They still need to identify the burglar in the camo shirt. We asked for the name of the known thief, but Chief Wiggins says it's too early in the investigation to release his name. "He may run further. So what we try to do is get to him as soon as we possibly can."

If you have any information that could help police find the burglars, contact the Cuthbert Police Department at (229) 732-2323.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly