Alarm alerts East Albany man to kitchen fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Alarm alerts East Albany man to kitchen fire

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany Firefighters say a home alarm system alerted an East Albany man Monday afternoon that his kitchen was on fire.

Firefighters say Kenneth Whitlock forgot shrimp frying on his stove, and was watching TV in another room when the fire broke out in the kitchen of his South Skylane Drive home.  

The alarm alerted Whitlock who threw the burning shrimp out the back door before firefighters arrived.

Albany Fire Chief James Carswell said "In this case the alarm went off and notified the occupant and us that there was a potential fire. We were already responding, and so we got there thankfully with very minimal damage because of all that."

   The fire did minor damage to the kitchen. 

   Firefighters say working smoke detectors and alarm systems help save lives.  

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.            

Powered by Frankly