Albany woman sets bedroom on fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany woman sets bedroom on fire

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A woman smoking in an Albany home accidentally sets her bedroom on fire....causing thousands of dollars in damages.

Albany firefighters responded to a bedroom fire before 6:30 this morning at this boarding house in the six hundred block of North Washington Street. Firefighters say five people were inside the home when the front bedroom caught on fire. Firefighters say they found several smoking materials on the woman's bed when they got inside.

“They found a fire in one bedroom, the cause of the fire determined to be smoking materials on the bed. It was a box spring of mattresses on fire. The fire was limited to the bedroom itself it did not extend to the rest of the structure. There was some light smoke damage," said Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrowe, Albany Fire Department.

Fire officials say the fire caused about 15 hundred dollars worth of damage. No one was hurt. Fire officials recommend that you don't smoke in your bed.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly