ALBANY, GA (WALB) - This is National Fire Prevention Week, and firefighters want to teach children never to touch matches or lighters.
Firefighters say just before 7 Saturday evening a four year old boy playing with a lighter set a blaze inside a back bedroom in this home in the 2400 block of Habersham Road.
The boy's mother, Vonnel Ervin, was asleep and awoke to flames.
Everyone escaped unharmed, but this is an example of why firefighters teach safety lessons to kids.
Assistant Chief Sebon Burns said "They get curious. They want to see fire. Get fire started and you see what happens as a result of kids playing with matches and lighters."
Wednesday, the Albany Fire Department will host their annual Kids Fire Safety Show at the Civic Center to teach fire prevention to South Georgia kids.