ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany Firefighters discover dead dogs inside an abandoned East Albany home being used for fire training, as they burned four condemned houses.
Inside one on East First Avenue, they found the bodies of two pit bulls they believe were dumped there. We are not going to show you the dog's bodies; it's too graphic. Investigators believe they could be tied to dog fighting.
Albany Firefighters set a fire in the back corner of 1304 East First Avenue about 10:45 this morning, using the abandoned house for an arson investigation scene. We went inside earlier in the morning. Firefighters set up this living room scene in the back of the home to burn. But toward the front, firefighters found two dog bodies when they were preparing the house for use. Both apparently pit bulls. One had been stuffed inside a bag.
"Looks like someone has been fighting them and they have died during the fight. And they discarded them here," Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said.
Neighbors watching the firefighters training were shocked to learn what was inside the empty house, right on their street.
"Dead dogs in there. No that's not right," Dean Barber said.
"Oh that's sickening," Vincent Russell said. "They need to get rid of all of them."
"I'm glad they are doing what they are doing," Barber said. They should burn a couple more of these homes around here. Because that's just bad for the neighborhood."
Wednesday more than 20 arson investigators from across the state will look through the four homes partially burned today, to practice on real fires. Later these homes will be burned completely and disposed of.
"One for the training. And two to get rid of them so that the community can have a safer environment," Harris said.
"Yea, because you never know what goes on in the wee hours of the night," Russell said.
Shocked neighbors saying they hope getting rid of this abandoned house will make their street safer.
The arson investigators will do their practice Wednesday at the four homes were fire were set this morning. Firefighters say they will be completely burned and disposed of within two weeks.