Cordele woman died of gunshot wound

Cordele woman died of gunshot wound

CORDELE, GA (WALB) - Investigators say a woman found dead in Crisp County died of a gunshot wound.

According to the Crisp County Sheriff, 27-year-old Ashley Garry was shot, and was pronounced dead at the scene Sunday.

Deputies found her body around 5 p.m. during a welfare check.

Crisp Co. Sheriff's investigators and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation canvassed the area for clues and evidence. An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday morning at the state crime lab in Macon.

Deputies said they will hold license checks to see if citizens may have seen or heard anything on Sunday, which is believed to be the day of the incident.

This is the first homicide in the unincorporated limits of Crisp County since 2009. Sheriff Hancock said he was saddened that once again violence has claimed the life of a young person, and that she was a daughter, mother, sister and a productive citizen in the community.

Neighbors are still in disbelief about what happened.

"We just pray that all this, all this will heal one day," said Michael Rockwell.

'All this' is the pain neighbors feel after 27-year old Ashley Garry was shot to death in her Crisp County home.

"It really hurts because she was a hardworking mom. A single parent just trying to take care of her kid the best that she could," said Andrea Durham.

Garry worked at Cracker Barrel and didn't show up for her shift Sunday morning.

A co-worker found her back door open and the screen cut.

Crisp County Sheriff Billy Hancock says they're looking for the person responsible, and neighbors are looking out for each other.

"There's just been crime pick up out here and we all got to watch each other's back. We got to neighborhood watch," said Rockwell.

"It makes all of us kind of shook up. You just don't know. You just don't know these days in time what's going to happen. It keeps your eyes open," said Tiffany Johnson.

Authorities believe Garry was killed sometime Sunday morning. The last time Durham saw her was Friday.

"I'm was rushing because my son had to get ready for practice so I just threw my hand up and said hey and I never thought that would be the last time I see her," said Durham.

Her 9-year old son, mother, and sister won't see her again either.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.