ATLANTA, GA (WALB) - Tony Stewart will race in Atlanta on Sunday night for the first time in three weeks.
Stewart appeared very emotional as he talked about his return to racing.
He will return to Sprint Cup competition on Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, ending a three-race hiatus taken after he struck and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race.
It was on August 9th that the NASCAR champion hit driver Kevin Ward Jr. at a race in upstate New York.
Since then he has skipped races at Watkins Glen, Michigan, and Bristol Motor Speedway.
Stewart said in a news conference Friday that the death would "affect my life forever."
Stewart-Haas Racing Vice President Brett Frood told reporters in the news conference that Stewart, although visibly shaken from the death, was ready to be back in a race car. "If he wasn't, he wouldn't be here," Frood said.
He also said the decision to race again was "100% Tony's."
NASCAR also released a statement that said Stewart was eligible to return to racing because he had "received all necessary clearances required."
Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.