Grease fire damages Valdosta home - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Grease fire damages Valdosta home

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

A Valdosta man will have to find a new place to stay Tuesday night after his house caught fire Tuesday afternoon.

Fire fighters were called out to 901 Lausanne Drive around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. The homeowner said there was a grease fire in the kitchen that got out of control.

He was the only one inside at the time and was able to get out safely. The homeowner said damage was mostly contained to the kitchen area, but there was a small burnt spot on the roof in the back of the house and smoke damage was noticeable on some interior walls of the home just inside the front door.

One citizen at the scene said some small flames could be seen coming from the chimney of the home shortly before firefighters arrived and put out the fire.

As of 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, there was no word on a damage estimate.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly