Firefighters respond to house fire on Gatewood drive - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters respond to house fire on Gatewood drive

Battalion Chief Matthew Jefferson, Albany Fire Department Battalion Chief Matthew Jefferson, Albany Fire Department
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters responded to a home fire Sunday morning between 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. at 108 Gatewood Drive. 

Fire officials said hot grease was left unattended on the stove causing damage to the kitchen and attic.

There was heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the home.

" Well one of the occupants, the mother, she stated that she left the stove on and she was awakened by one of the children and told that the kitchen was on fire, and they all exited the building," said Battalion Chief Matthew Jefferson, Albany Fire Department. 

A mother, father and two kids were in the home at the time of the blaze, but no one was hurt.

The family is now staying with a relative.

Officials said the fire caused about $10,000 in damage. They used 600 gallons of water to extinguish the fire. 

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Second man arrested in connection with Albany burglary

    Second man arrested in connection with Albany burglary

    Sunday, June 24 2018 5:58 PM EDT2018-06-24 21:58:51 GMT
    Charles Brandon Harris was arrested Sunday in connection to a burglary Albany. (Source: Dougherty County Jail)Charles Brandon Harris was arrested Sunday in connection to a burglary Albany. (Source: Dougherty County Jail)

    A man wanted in connection with a burglary in Albany was arrested Sunday by the Lee County Sheriff's Office. 

    More >>

    A man wanted in connection with a burglary in Albany was arrested Sunday by the Lee County Sheriff's Office. 

    More >>
  • Body found sparks safety concerns from residents

    Body found sparks safety concerns from residents

    Sunday, June 24 2018 5:58 PM EDT2018-06-24 21:58:14 GMT

    We spoke with residents in the area and they say this event has sparked some concerns. One woman who lives just steps away from where the body was found said she wants to see more security in the neighborhood. 

    More >>

    We spoke with residents in the area and they say this event has sparked some concerns. One woman who lives just steps away from where the body was found said she wants to see more security in the neighborhood. 

    More >>
  • Dangers of hot playground equipment

    Dangers of hot playground equipment

    Sunday, June 24 2018 5:45 PM EDT2018-06-24 21:45:54 GMT
    The fire chief recommends parents to take their kids to the playground early in the morning or in the evening.  (Source: WALB)The fire chief recommends parents to take their kids to the playground early in the morning or in the evening. (Source: WALB)
    The fire chief recommends parents to take their kids to the playground early in the morning or in the evening.  (Source: WALB)The fire chief recommends parents to take their kids to the playground early in the morning or in the evening. (Source: WALB)

    The Lee County fire chief is issuing a warning tonight about how hot playground equipment can get during the summer. Chief David Forrester said some equipment can reach more than 150-degrees this time of the year. 

    More >>

    The Lee County fire chief is issuing a warning tonight about how hot playground equipment can get during the summer. Chief David Forrester said some equipment can reach more than 150-degrees this time of the year. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly