Little girl dropped off bus at wrong destination - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Little girl dropped off bus at wrong destination

Amanda Laflam Amanda Laflam
Tina Smelley Tina Smelley
Mickey Key Mickey Key
MOULTRIE, GA (WALB) - A Colquitt County school bus driver is disciplined for dropping off a five year old girl at the wrong bus stop. The little girl is ok, but her parents say it was a frightening experience.

The Assistant School Superintendent says it was an honest mistake. But the child's family says otherwise.

"She was hysterical," said Amanda Laflam, mother.

The Laflam family is thankful that their little girl made it home from school Friday afternoon after being dropped off ten miles from home.

"School is supposed to be safe you are supposed to trust these people every day with your child," said Laflam.

The five year old girl was mistakenly dropped off at this busy intersection along Moultrie hwy, by her bus driver, leaving her scared, alone and vulnerable to every parents worst nightmare.

Tina Smelley says she's grateful that her granddaughter is okay. "What if she got hit by a car out there where she was, what if somebody took that child and killed, murdered, or raped her?"

A Doerun couple who saw the little girl in distress drove her back to the school where her family was called. "I am so blessed that they saved my daughters life because that's what they really did, saved her life."

The child's family contacted the woman through social media. "I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart for saving that baby."

School leaders investigated and say it was a mistake.

"It should not have happened, there no doubt about that. Anytime a situation like this happens we want to learn why it happened so it doesn't happen again."

The bus driver received disciplinary action and is not working for the school district at this time.

Copyright  2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly