SMITHVILLE, GA - A South Georgia Wildlife expert is saying "leave the snakes alone" after a Lee County man was burned this week trying to kill one.
The man tried to kill the snake in his yard by lighting a gasoline soaked stick on fire Monday, but the flames ignited the gas can he was holding.
Beck's Wildlife Removal owner Gene Beck says trying to get rid of the snake in any way, is never a good idea. "If you hit a snake that's coiled up sleeping. You hit him with something, he's going to try and get away and he may just go under your feet and that's how you get bit."
Beck also says the man's grass was too tall and attracted food for the snake. "You keep the grass down. It doesn't mean the snakes are not going to be there, but you're going to see them and avoid them. You don't go grab a can of gas and throw it on a snake and burn yourself up."
He says keeping your grass cut, your home sealed and up-keeping pest control should keep the snakes away. If you find one inside your home, you can call wildlife removal services.
Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.