Mother of 5 writes Facebook post to body-shaming beach trolls - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Mother of 5 writes Facebook post to body-shaming beach trolls

Tanis Jex-Blake took this picture in her living room on the same day she went home in tears over three people, including one woman, who taunted her stretch marks. (Source: Tanis Jex-Blake/Facebook) Tanis Jex-Blake took this picture in her living room on the same day she went home in tears over three people, including one woman, who taunted her stretch marks. (Source: Tanis Jex-Blake/Facebook)
Tanis Jex-Blake with her 6-year-old daughter. (Source: Rebecca Sykes/SykedPhotography.org/Tanis Jex-Blake) Tanis Jex-Blake with her 6-year-old daughter. (Source: Rebecca Sykes/SykedPhotography.org/Tanis Jex-Blake)
  • InternationalMore>>

Damascus suburb strikes kill scores, UN votes for cease-fire

Saturday, February 24 2018 5:35 AM EST2018-02-24 10:35:15 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 3:18 PM EST2018-02-24 20:18:32 GMT
    (Ghouta Media Center via AP). This photo released on Friday, Feb. 23, 2018 by the Syrian anti-government activist group Ghouta Media Center, which has been authenticated based on its contents and other AP reporting, shows smoke rising after Syrian gove...(Ghouta Media Center via AP). This photo released on Friday, Feb. 23, 2018 by the Syrian anti-government activist group Ghouta Media Center, which has been authenticated based on its contents and other AP reporting, shows smoke rising after Syrian gove...
    Syrian opposition activists are reporting a new wave of airstrikes and shelling on eastern suburbs of the capital Damascus leaving three people dead and more than a dozen wounded.More >>

Trump officials fight eviction from Panama hotel they manage

Saturday, February 24 2018 11:55 AM EST2018-02-24 16:55:21 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 3:18 PM EST2018-02-24 20:18:12 GMT
    One of President Donald Trump's family businesses is battling an effort to physically evict its team of executives from a luxury hotel in Panama where they manage operations.More >>

Manafort indictment sparks hunt for Europeans paid to lobby

Saturday, February 24 2018 7:25 AM EST2018-02-24 12:25:12 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 3:17 PM EST2018-02-24 20:17:52 GMT
    (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, File). FILE - In this Dec. 11, 2017, file photo, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort arrives at federal court in Washington. Recently unsealed criminal charges against President Donald Trump’s ex-campaign chairman could ...(AP Photo/Susan Walsh, File). FILE - In this Dec. 11, 2017, file photo, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort arrives at federal court in Washington. Recently unsealed criminal charges against President Donald Trump’s ex-campaign chairman could ...
    A Ukrainian opposition lawmaker who helped uncover off-the-books payments to President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman says a one-time Austrian chancellor was among the European politicians secretly paid to lobby for Ukraine.More >>

EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA (RNN) – One mom would not stand for being made fun of by a few 20-somethings at the beach.

The experience happened to Tanis Jex-Blake at Alberta Beach, a small village on the shores of Lac Ste. Anne outside of Edmonton on July 28. The married mother of five's body, changed from giving birth, was found unsuitable to three beachgoers – two men and a woman. Jex-Blake said she was taunted for her stretch marks as she wore a bikini while sunbathing.

She said it was the first time she had worn a bikini since the birth of her first child 13 years ago, and she wanted to work on her tan for an upcoming vacation with her husband.

“Although my open letter seems to send the message that I am a confident woman who is proud of her body, I am sad to say that I am not,” Jex-Blake said. "I was embarrassed. That's why it took me 13 years to wear a bikini in public."

Her emotions were not shown at the beach but through angry tears at home, a bikini picture in her living room and in an impassioned Facebook post.

“I wanted to reach out and slap them, via the internet,” Jex-Blake said.

She wrote:

This is an open letter to the 2 guys and 1 girl who decided to skip work today in Sherwood Park where they were building a house, but instead decided to come to Alberta Beach to relax in the sun, enjoy the water and some beers. I'm sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years "grossed you out."

I'm sorry that my stomach isn't flat and tight. I'm sorry that my belly is covered in stretch marks. I'm NOT sorry that my body has housed, grown, protected, birthed and nurtured FIVE fabulous, healthy, intelligent and wonderful human beings. I'm sorry if my 33-year-old, 125 lb. body offended you so much that you felt that pointing, laughing, and pretending to kick me.

But I'll have you know that as I looked at your 'perfect' young bodies, I could only think to myself, "what great and amazing feat has YOUR body done?" I'll also have you know that I held my head high, unflinching as you mocked me, pretending that what you said and did had no effect on me; but I cried in the car on the drive home. Thanks for ruining my day.

It's people like you who make this world an ugly hateful place. I can't help but feel sorry for the women who will one day bear your children and become "gross" in your eyes as their bodies change during the miraculous process of pregnancy. I can only hope that one day you'll realize that my battle scars are something to be proud of, not ashamed of.

Jex-Blake's open battle against body shaming has taken flight across the internet, especially when a radio station in Edmonton picked it up. On Hot 107 Edmonton’s Facebook page, it has more than 1 million likes and 240,000 shares.

She said her struggle with her body image and the sad anger she felt after the incident is what made her piece the post together.

“When I posted it initially, I was angry - angry at them, and at myself for not saying anything right then and there," she said. "Now, I could care less if they ever read or heard about how they made me feel. Because my one moment of feeling horrible has empowered millions of women to embrace who they are and love their bodies. So it was all worth it.”

For Jex-Blake, she said she never expected this type of response and called it “crazy and overwhelming.” But to her only daughter, who is almost 7 years old, she wanted to show that there is something beautiful in sticking up for yourself, even though your bullies might not ever see it.

“I want my kids to know that they never need to be ashamed of how their bodies look, and at the same time, I never want them to belittle or judge anyone else for how that person's body looks,” she said.

Follow me on Twitter: @TanitaG_RNN

Copyright 2014 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

• WALB Online Poll

• What do you think of Tanis Jex-Blake's Facebook post?

• Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:

Brave and bold - body shaming needs to be stopped.
    82%
    2215 votes
    Useless - if she didn't speak directly to the bullies, what good is posting it to Facebook going to do?
    18%