Bracelet could save family members with Alzheimer's - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Bracelet could save family members with Alzheimer's

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

After two men suffering from Alzheimer's were located after they went missing this week in South Georgia, experts want you to know how you can protect your loved ones.

"Despite all the precautions we take, sometimes they get away," said Nancy Goode with the Alzheimer's Outreach Center.

Dougherty County officers spent hours this week searching from land and air for 71-year-old Ronald Sutton Hausman who suffers from Alzheimer's.

They luckily found him the next morning alone and in a wooded area. He was okay. Experts say these types of situations happen often.

"It's a team effort with the community, the caregivers, with law enforcement to try to prevent these. Because they could turn into a tragedy," Captain Thomas Jackson, of Dougherty County Police.

But there are ways for you to protect your loved ones. Goode says a great option is a Medic Alert Safe Return Bracelet. The locator bracelet lists medical information and could be easily recognized by passersby or police. Goode says it could be a vital form of communication.

"A lot of times if someone is wandering around, they don't know their address," said Goode. "Sometimes they don't even know their name. Some dementia patients have lost all communication ability, as well and they can't tell you anything."

The bracelets are designed to be difficult to remove. They're often put in place of a watch or jewelry the person is used to wearing.

But if bracelets aren't the right option for your family, then authorities say it's best to find another form of identification in case they do go missing.

The bracelets run around 50 dollars, but there are Scholarships available through the Alzheimer's Association.

You can get more information by contacting the Alzheimer's Outreach Center of Albany at 229-432-2705 or click HERE.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly