Power lines spark grass fire

Power lines spark grass fire

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A live power line sparked a grass fire near the intersection of Society and Front Street Monday afternoon.

Crews worked for more than an hour to put out the flames and cut power to the affected line.

According to a report, a mowing company was cutting grass at an easement used by Georgia Power where some old phone lines were on the ground. Officials said as the mower ran over them, they flew out, hitting live power lines. The power lines fell to the ground, sparking a grass fire.

Firefighters said the fire was contained around 4:30 p.m., and worked with the power company to cut power from the lines and put out the rest of the fire.

"Once we found the wire, exactly where it was laying, then we were able to put the perimeter fire out without endangering ourselves by getting too close to the live wire," said Lt. Kevin Prince with the Albany Fire Department.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.