Firefighters warn of increased toxins in modern home fires - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn of increased toxins in modern home fires

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Firefighters have put out a warning to residents in the wake of a house fire that put a one-week old baby in the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters want everyone to know that smoke from house fires contains toxins that can be deadly.

Jamarrion English was treated at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at the Medical Centers of Middle Georgia in Macon following a fire Tuesday night in south Albany.

Five of the 8 people in the home on Talafax Road were hospitalized. Franchell Williams was still being treated Thursday. She was listed in good condition.

"There are a lot of factors, especially with real young children and also the elderly," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell. "They are more susceptible to the irritants in the lungs and those."

More fire deaths are caused by smoke inhalation than burns.

Firefighters say synthetic materials in modern homes release more toxic gases. That's why they warn residents to get out of a burning home immediately.

Investigators suspect Tuesday's fire was started by a child playing with matches.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly