Firefighters warn of increased toxins in modern home fires - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn of increased toxins in modern home fires

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Firefighters have put out a warning to residents in the wake of a house fire that put a one-week old baby in the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters want everyone to know that smoke from house fires contains toxins that can be deadly.

Jamarrion English was treated at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at the Medical Centers of Middle Georgia in Macon following a fire Tuesday night in south Albany.

Five of the 8 people in the home on Talafax Road were hospitalized. Franchell Williams was still being treated Thursday. She was listed in good condition.

"There are a lot of factors, especially with real young children and also the elderly," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell. "They are more susceptible to the irritants in the lungs and those."

More fire deaths are caused by smoke inhalation than burns.

Firefighters say synthetic materials in modern homes release more toxic gases. That's why they warn residents to get out of a burning home immediately.

Investigators suspect Tuesday's fire was started by a child playing with matches.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Police respond to robbery by snatching at Albany package store

    Police respond to robbery by snatching at Albany package store

    Saturday, March 25 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-03-26 03:32:15 GMT

    Albany Police have responded to a robbery by snatching at the National Package Store on Oakridge Drive. Dispatch has confirmed the call came in just before 8 p.m. Saturday, and the suspect fled the scene.

    More >>

    Albany Police have responded to a robbery by snatching at the National Package Store on Oakridge Drive. Dispatch has confirmed the call came in just before 8 p.m. Saturday, and the suspect fled the scene.

    More >>
  • "The Voice" contestant J Chosen helps community at Albany Strong Fun Fest

    "The Voice" contestant J Chosen helps community at Albany Strong Fun Fest

    Saturday, March 25 2017 10:32 PM EDT2017-03-26 02:32:57 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    The focus Saturday was on taking a break from storm cleanup and recovery, and to have a little bit of fun at the Albany Strong Fun Fest. The festival happened all day, with bands hitting the stage from 12:30 to 7 p.m.

    More >>

    The focus Saturday was on taking a break from storm cleanup and recovery, and to have a little bit of fun at the Albany Strong Fun Fest. The festival happened all day, with bands hitting the stage from 12:30 to 7 p.m.

    More >>
  • Former America's Got Talent finalist visits Albany for "Seniors on the Runway"

    Former America's Got Talent finalist visits Albany for "Seniors on the Runway"

    Saturday, March 25 2017 9:46 PM EDT2017-03-26 01:46:19 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    A big voice with roots in South Georgia visited Albany this weekend. Quintavious Johnson placed fifth on America's Got Talent back in 2014. He has family who lives here in Albany.

    More >>

    A big voice with roots in South Georgia visited Albany this weekend. Quintavious Johnson placed fifth on America's Got Talent back in 2014. He has family who lives here in Albany.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly