Firefighters warn about smoke dangers in house fires - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn about smoke dangers in house fires

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -    A week-old baby is now out of a Macon hospital after treatment for smoke inhalation.


     Firefighters want you to know smoke from house fires contains toxins that can be deadly,  and you need to be aware of the danger.


     Jamarrion English was treated at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at the Medical Centers of Middle Georgia following a fire Tuesday night in south Albany.

     Five of the 8 people in the home on Talafax Road were hospitalized.

     Only Franchell Williams is still being treated.

     She's in good condition.

Albany Fire Chief James Carswell said "There are a lot of factors, especially with real young children and also the elderly.  They are more susceptible to the irritants in the lungs and those."


     More fire deaths are caused by smoke inhalation than burns.  

     Firefighters say synthetic materials in today's homes release more toxic gases.

     That's why you should get out of a burning home immediately.

     Investigators suspect Tuesday's fire was started by a child playing with matches.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.



  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Service honors fallen service members at Albany's Field of Crosses

    Service honors fallen service members at Albany's Field of Crosses

    Sunday, May 28 2017 10:19 PM EDT2017-05-29 02:19:11 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    Several dozen people gathered Sunday to remember and honor fallen military service members. It was the annual Field of Crosses Memorial Day Service at the Albany Mall. Speakers talked about the focus of Memorial Day being fallen service members.

    More >>

    Several dozen people gathered Sunday to remember and honor fallen military service members. It was the annual Field of Crosses Memorial Day Service at the Albany Mall. Speakers talked about the focus of Memorial Day being fallen service members.

    More >>
  • "Rabbitman" hosts third annual After School Extravaganza

    "Rabbitman" hosts third annual After School Extravaganza

    Sunday, May 28 2017 10:14 PM EDT2017-05-29 02:14:36 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    A local business rewarded students after another successful school year.  Elijah Williams Jr., owner of Rabbitman Footwear, hosted his After School Extravaganza. It's a chance to celebrate students for their hard work during the school year.

    More >>

    A local business rewarded students after another successful school year.  Elijah Williams Jr., owner of Rabbitman Footwear, hosted his After School Extravaganza. It's a chance to celebrate students for their hard work during the school year.

    More >>
  • WATCH: Airman surprises sister at Mitchell Co. High graduation

    WATCH: Airman surprises sister at Mitchell Co. High graduation

    Sunday, May 28 2017 9:10 PM EDT2017-05-29 01:10:11 GMT
    (Source: Facebook)(Source: Facebook)

    A U.S. Airman pulled off the surprise of a lifetime for his sister this weekend. Jakeria Florence graduated from Mitchell County High School Friday night. Scarlette M Wimberly She did not think her brother, Airman 1st Class Jason Florence, would make it to her graduation. He's been stationed in Alaska for more than two years.

    More >>

    A U.S. Airman pulled off the surprise of a lifetime for his sister this weekend. Jakeria Florence graduated from Mitchell County High School Friday night. Scarlette M Wimberly She did not think her brother, Airman 1st Class Jason Florence, would make it to her graduation. He's been stationed in Alaska for more than two years.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly