Family was lucky to survive house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family was lucky to survive house fire

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA - (WALB) -

The owner of a South Albany home that burned Tuesday night remains hospitalized, while a less than week old child was transferred from an Albany hospital for treatment.

The home in the 200 block of Talafax Road burned about 7:15 PM. Eight people were in the home during the fire, and four were transported to the hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

Homeowner Franchell Williams is listed in good condition at the hospital. 

Officials report Six day old Jamarrion English was treated and transferred to another hospital, we do not have any update on the child's condition.

Firefighters say a 4 year old child was playing alone in a room, when she ran to her mother to tell her the room was on fire.  

"It's under investigation. But everything is pointing toward, there is a possibility, that a child could have been playing with matches or something of that nature," said Deputy Fire Chief Ron Rowe.    

Firefighters say the fire did about $17,000 in damages, and the family has received assistance from the American Red Cross.

 

 

Copyright  2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.