23-year old Hope Johnson grabbed her infant son, Jamarion English, and climbed out of a window to safety. Smoke continued coming out of the home at 205 Talafax Road. Eight people were inside when the fire broke out a little before 7:30. One family member says they were watching TV in the living room when they smelled smoke coming from the back bedroom. Everyone immediately got out of the home. Fire officials are now investigating how the fire started.
"At this point we're not really sure exactly what the cause is because majority of the occupants have been treated by EMS and some have gone to the hospital for smoke inhalation, so we really haven't had a chance to talk to any witnesses yet,” said Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow, Albany Fire Department.
In addition to the 6-day old baby and his mother, 4-year-old Tee Tee Shed, 51-year-old Franchelle Williams and 25-year-old Kenneth English were taken to Phoebe North. Firefighters say they suffered smoke inhalation and should be okay. Most of the damage is to the back bedroom. Fire officials say an investigator will be at the home Wednesday. The Red Cross is helping the family. You can help the family by contacting Zella Green at 603-0667.
Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.