(BPT) - Summer is here and this is the time when you want to be outside as much as possible, soak up the sun, eat amazing food and enjoy the company of family and friends. You’ll also see more of your home’s exterior on days like this than any other time of the year so this is also a great time to complete those outdoor projects. In fact, 60 percent of homeowners will accomplish a summer home improvement project this year according to survey data from the Zillow Digs Summer Home Improvement Trend and Spending Survey.
Follow these tips to make your home’s exterior shine all summer long.
* Smooth over concrete surfaces. In order to prevent and trips or falls, now is a good time to fix and patch those cracks in the driveway or garage. Be sure to fix them now before they get larger and you could incur larger repair costs. It will also help prevent any future accidents.Small cracks can be fixed with concrete caulk while large cracks require a patch. Make sure to clean out the crack before applying either of these substances.
* Repaint the deck. Improving your deck, patio or porch is the seventh most popular home improvement project according to RE/MAX and it’s easy to see why. When you picture yourself outside on a beautiful summer day, you probably picture yourself sitting on the deck. So, make your deck stand out with a fresh coat of paint. “Decorating outside of your home is now all the rage,” says Matthew Mead, author of Backyard Style. “Your deck needn’t be brown and sullen. Infuse your backyard space by selecting whatever color you want and spray the floor of your deck with the Wagner Flexio 890. Your deck will be the toast of the neighborhood.”
* Give your old patio furniture a new look. If you’re going to reinvent your deck, why stop there? Why not refresh your patio furniture to complement your deck’s new color, too? “Revive any outdoor furniture with an easy spray using the Wagner Flexio 890,” says Mead. “With a simple coat of paint you can transform tables, chairs, and anything wicker in any hue or shade you desire. In my new book Backyard Style, I show how to take simple flea-market finds and, with some paint and very little effort, transform them into show-stopping decorative accessories.”
* Caulk around the windows. This annual project won’t help you enjoy those beautiful summer days, but it will help you survive those sweltering days from the safety of your air-conditioned home. Make sure to caulk around windows and any exterior joints, including doors. Many people think of this as a preventative project for winter, but a fresh application of caulk will protect cool air conditioning from escaping when you need it most.
* Make your home’s exterior sparkle. If your home suffered any damage during the winter, summer is the perfect time for repairs that will make your home look great again. Walk around your home and look for damaged or missing siding. Replace these pieces and then use a pressure washer to clean and wash away excess dirt and grime. Using a special detergent appropriate for cleaning your home will give you better results. Once you’re done with the siding, don’t forget to grab the window cleaner and make those windows sparkle.
Each of these projects can return between 67 and 112 percent of their value to your home, according to DiGiorgi Roofing and Siding, not to mention the added joy you’ll receive from these home improvements. So get out there and get to work. The sooner you finish your project, the sooner you’ll be able to enjoy the rest of summer in style.