Valdosta man saved from burning fire after daring rescue
VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -
A Valdosta man remained hospitalized Monday night after his apartment caught fire while he was cooking over the weekend.
"When we got on scene, the first thing we saw was the paramedic, So, therefore we ran to the paramedic," said Dianne Register, sister-in-law of the man who's apartment was on fire.
She said paramedics had treated her brother-in-law, 56 year-old Andrew Outlaw, for minor burns. She didn't think anything was seriously wrong until she started to wipe off his face with a rag.
"Once I wiped his face," said Register, "that's when we discovered that the skin was on my rag." Paramedics immediately started treating Outlaw for severe burns and called in a helicopter to air lift him to Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida.
He suffered third degree burns on his upper body and head.
Willie Jones lives at the apartment complex and said if it wasn't for the bravery of another resident at the complex, Outlaw may not have survived.
"As he got right where we standin' right now, he saw the fire," said Jones as he recalled where he was and what he saw when the fire broke out just after 12 p.m. Saturday. "Like I said, that's a friend of his so he immediately bolted up there."
The resident went into his own apartment, soaked himself in water, and then rushed upstairs to rescue Outlaw.
"Fidel was grabbin' him wet; was pullin' him out like this. So, he pulled him out of the fire," Jones explained. Moments later, firefighters arrived and saved two more people living in the apartment next to Outlaw's.
"The second fireman in the second truck went upstairs and he start kickin' in doors. We didn't know no one was up there. Two people are layin' down in the bed sleepin' with the inferno over their heads. So, he saved their lives."
16 other residents were displaced and have since been relocated. Damage is estimated at $125,000.