Personal care home deemed "unfit" to live in -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Personal care home deemed "unfit" to live in

Chris Davis Chris Davis

Code enforcers have declared the Uplift center in Morven unfit for human habitation. Deplorable conditions inside the facility led them to shut it down.  

From mold in the bathrooms to exposed electrical wiring, photos reveal inside the closed Uplift personal care center.

"There were several violations of open circuits. When I say open circuits, I mean open electrical wiring, devices pulled from the wall that are easily accessible to an adult, and in some of those rooms even accessible to a child," said Morven Code Enforcement Officer Chris Davis.    

Davis also noted exposed plumbing problems, too.   "Any time you've got open plumbing, you've got the fumes, the toxins there. You've also got undesirable feces that was evident everywhere in some of those areas."  

Mold was another common violation found throughout the facility.   "In some of the patient's rooms, in their bathing areas, we found evidence of mold and mildew which, if tampered with, are very harmful," said Davis.  

Davis says, in his ten years as a code enforcement officer, this facility is one of the ten worst cases he's ever seen.   "I've never been to a place where you've had that multiple of violations in every room."  

And that's why the facility remains shut down and declared unfit for human habitation. The facility's owner, Tyrone Terrell, remains in the Brooks County Jail charged with Operating a Personal Care Home without a License, Exploitation-8 Counts, Abuse and Neglect of a Disabled Adult and Simple Battery. He has contacted an attorney in Valdosta, but that lawyer has not decided whether to take on Terrell's case.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly