House approves alternative to film incentive in budget bill - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

House approves alternative to current film incentive in 2014-15 spending plan

Lawmakers in the state House approved an alternative to the current film incentive tax credit in North Carolina Lawmakers in the state House approved an alternative to the current film incentive tax credit in North Carolina
RALEIGH, NC (WECT) -

The state House passed an amendment proposed by Rep. Ted Davis (R-New Hanover) that changes North Carolina's film incentive tax credit to a Grant Fund, similar to a proposal that has already passed the state Senate.

Unlike the proposal introduced by Sen. Bill Rabon (R-Brunswick) that allocated $20 million for the Film and Entertainment Grant Fund, Davis' proposal allocates only $5. Davis said during the debate on the floor that the simple allocation is enough to "keep the issue on the table" when members of the House and Senate go into conference to negotiate the differences between each chamber's spending plans.

Rep. Frank Iler (R-Brunswick), who says he would rather lawmakers extend the current film incentive tax credit, raised concerns with Davis' proposal, but also seemed resigned to the GOP majority not favoring that approach.

"I don't like this (grant fund) approach," Iler said during the debate on the House floor. "But, I will take what we can get. A half a loaf is better than none at all."

"I am a realist," Davis added during the debate. "I realize there are not enough votes in the House right now to extend the current incentives." The current film incentives program expires at the end of 2014.

To read the text of Davis' amendment on the Film and Entertainment Grant Fund, click here: http://bit.ly/1oUzQeN

Debate on the state House budget bill continued after the debate and vote on Davis' amendment. Members are expected to give final approval to the $21 billion spending plan Friday.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • House lawmakers plan hearing on GenX discharge into Cape Fear River

    House lawmakers plan hearing on GenX discharge into Cape Fear River

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 9:02 PM EDT2017-08-17 01:02:41 GMT
    State lawmakers plan to hold legislative hearings to investigate the discharge of GenX into the Cape Fear Region's drinking water supply. (Source: WECT)State lawmakers plan to hold legislative hearings to investigate the discharge of GenX into the Cape Fear Region's drinking water supply. (Source: WECT)

    House Speaker Tim Moore said Wednesday he plans to convene a legislative hearing to investigate the discharge of the unregulated chemical GenX into the Cape Fear River.  “I’ll be announcing committee appointments in the coming days to convene investigative hearings on the GenX issue as soon as possible,” 

    More >>

    House Speaker Tim Moore said Wednesday he plans to convene a legislative hearing to investigate the discharge of the unregulated chemical GenX into the Cape Fear River.  “I’ll be announcing committee appointments in the coming days to convene investigative hearings on the GenX issue as soon as possible,” 

    More >>
  • Gov. Cooper vetoes senate bill over water quality concerns

    Gov. Cooper vetoes senate bill over water quality concerns

    Monday, August 14 2017 9:04 PM EDT2017-08-15 01:04:34 GMT
    Gov. Roy Cooper has vetoed two bills, including one he says makes it harder for state and local governments to protect water quality. (Source: governor.nc.gov)Gov. Roy Cooper has vetoed two bills, including one he says makes it harder for state and local governments to protect water quality. (Source: governor.nc.gov)

    Gov. Roy Cooper vetoed two bills that passed the General Assembly earlier this month, including one the governor claims would impact the ability to protect water quality. 

    More >>

    Gov. Roy Cooper vetoed two bills that passed the General Assembly earlier this month, including one the governor claims would impact the ability to protect water quality. 

    More >>
  • Sponsors of controversial bill regarding drivers and protests address Charlottesville violence

    Sponsors of controversial bill regarding drivers and protests address Charlottesville violence

    Monday, August 14 2017 4:52 PM EDT2017-08-14 20:52:25 GMT
    A controversial bill regarding drivers and protests passed the state House in April, but has not been taken up in the state Senate. (Source: WECT)A controversial bill regarding drivers and protests passed the state House in April, but has not been taken up in the state Senate. (Source: WECT)

    Rep. Chris Millis (R-Pender, Onslow) and Rep. Justin Burr (R-Montgomery, Stanly) released a statement Monday afternoon regarding House Bill 330 and the deadly violence in Charlottesville. 

    More >>

    Rep. Chris Millis (R-Pender, Onslow) and Rep. Justin Burr (R-Montgomery, Stanly) released a statement Monday afternoon regarding House Bill 330 and the deadly violence in Charlottesville. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly