Fire officials warn people following air conditioner fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials warn people following air conditioner fire

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany man remains in critical condition at the Augusta Joseph Still Burn Center, after he was injured when his duplex burned early Sunday.

Firefighters say a window style air conditioning unit is blamed for starting the blaze that injured 60 year old Douglas Green. 

Firefighters say the unit shorted out about 5 AM possibly overheating from constant use.

In this kind of temperature, just like a space heater in the winter time, you need to make sure it actually cycles off periodically to let it cool down.  If not, you are liable to have a problem.

Fire investigators say Green's air conditioner apparently was too small to cool the area it was in and that there did not appear to be working smoke detectors in the duplex.

 

Copyright2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.