Apartment fire sparks reminder about child fire safety - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Apartment fire sparks reminder about child fire safety

Posted: Updated:
Derreck Willis Derreck Willis
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:36 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:36:35 GMT
    The federal courthouse in Albany, GAThe federal courthouse in Albany, GA
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:33 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:33:07 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>

The Valdosta Fire Department is reminding people about the importance of not letting children play with matches and lighters.

On Wednesday, four people were displaced from their apartment at the Azalea Woods apartment complex in Valdosta after a four year-old accidentally started a fire in the apartment while playing with a lighter.

"They set [fires] and see what happens, and then, of course we have bad things that do happen," said Lt. Derreck Willis, a fire investigator and inspector with the Valdosta Fire department. "Always keep your matches and lighters out of reach, in your pocket, stored somewhere where the kids may not know where they're at."

Everyone in the apartment got out okay, but the four year-old was taken to the hospital to be treated for minor smoke inhalation. The fire caused $6,000 in damage.

For more information about child fire safety, visit www.usfa.fema.gov, or call your local fire department and ask about fire setting prevention and intervention programs they offer.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.