Family survives house fire; family pet does not - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family survives house fire; family pet does not

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Large bee hive being relocated from Valdosta business

    Large bee hive being relocated from Valdosta business

    Thursday, August 21 2014 4:09 PM EDT2014-08-21 20:09:36 GMT
    The bees have made a hive inside an exterior wall at the back of The Snake Pit and a bee keeper has set up a box on the outside of the wall next to the hive to collect the bees and has been working to relocate the bees for past couple of months.More >>
    The bees have made a hive inside an exterior wall at the back of The Snake Pit and a bee keeper has set up a box on the outside of the wall next to the hive to collect the bees and has been working to relocate the bees for past couple of months.
    More >>
  • Phoebe holds blood drive Thursday

    Phoebe holds blood drive Thursday

    Thursday, August 21 2014 3:11 PM EDT2014-08-21 19:11:37 GMT
    (Phoebe Putney)(Phoebe Putney)
    The gift of life is priceless and it is a gift that many can give Thursday, at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital. Phoebe's current drive is part of an ongoing effort to encourage all who qualify to give blood.More >>
    The gift of life is priceless and it is a gift that many can give Thursday, at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital. Phoebe's current drive is part of an ongoing effort to encourage all who qualify to give blood.More >>
  • Lee Co. family offers reward for missing jewelry

    Lee Co. family offers reward for missing jewelry

    Thursday, August 21 2014 3:06 PM EDT2014-08-21 19:06:24 GMT
    A Lee County family is offering a reward tonight to catch a thief they say stole thousands of dollars worth of jewelry from their home.More >>
    A Lee County family is offering a reward tonight to catch a thief they say stole thousands of dollars worth of jewelry from their home.More >>
THOMASVILLE, GA (WALB) -

Fire swept through a house in Thomasville early Thursday. The people inside got out alive, but a family dog died.

Firefighters pulled out ladders, and put on their oxygen tanks to contain the smoke that bellowed from a home located at 108 Myrtle Drive, neighbors noticed the fire.

"I knocked on the doors and tried to wake everyone up, thank goodness that they did wake up, they we're in a dead sleep and it could have been a really unfortunate circumstance," said neighbor Kevin Kelly.

Kelly says he did what any good neighbor would do, his wife called 911 and he ran over to bang on the neighbors' door.

"It's a great place to live where you know who your neighbors are, and everyone cares about their neighbors."

Kelly says timing played a major role in how fortunate the situation turned out. "If it had been thirty minutes later, we could have been sleep and not heard the explosions with the air conditioners running and everything, it could have been a different outcome all together."

Kelly's family calls it a miracle, and won't take any credit for their role in the situation. Two people were inside of the home but they got out okay.

Unfortunately, one of the two family dogs died of smoke inhalation.

"We are doing a further investigation to find out what's going on, and we'll just go from there," said assistant chief Allen Powell.

The home is a loss but the neighborhood is banding together during this families time of need.

If you would like to donate to the family in need, stop by Kevin's Fine Outdoor Gear and Apparel located in downtown Thomasville.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.