Family loses home to cigarette fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family loses home to cigarette fire

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A cigarette left in a bedroom sparked a fire that burned a South Albany home late last night, displacing a family of five.     

By the time firefighters got to 71-year-old Ruth Childs' home on Van Buren Street about 11:30, most of the home and her possessions were badly damaged.     

Fire officials say they are seeing fewer fires like this because fewer people are smoking.  

 "We're thankful that last night no one got injured.  Because one of those type acts usually doesn't develop into a fire until somebody went to sleep.  Usually it takes several hours for it to actually start a fire," said AFD Chief James Carswell.       

The American Red Cross is helping Childs, her daughter, and three children.

 

 

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.