Cigarette sparks fire at apartment complex - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Cigarette sparks fire at apartment complex

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Southern Veneer catches fire

    Southern Veneer catches fire

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:30 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:30:03 GMT
    A company that makes wood products in Fitzgerald sustained a fire earlier today. Amy Taylor Chief Financial Officer from Southern Veneer says started around 2:30p.m. in the roof above the dryers.More >>
    A company that makes wood products in Fitzgerald sustained a fire earlier today. Amy Taylor Chief Financial Officer from Southern Veneer says started around 2:30p.m. in the roof above the dryers.More >>
  • Residents on alert for kids in cars

    Residents on alert for kids in cars

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:22 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:22:40 GMT
    Tuesday night, they got a call from someone in the Harvey's parking lot who said a baby was left in a car. Officials say when they got there the car was gone, the woman then drove to the sheriff's office with the baby, which was OK.More >>
    Tuesday night, they got a call from someone in the Harvey's parking lot who said a baby was left in a car. Officials say when they got there the car was gone, the woman then drove to the sheriff's office with the baby, which was OK.More >>
  • Thief breaks into locked car

    Thief breaks into locked car

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:15 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:15:19 GMT
    Car break-ins continue to be a major problem all across south Georgia. One victim in Americus is worried about how crooks got in his car, even though it was locked.More >>
    Car break-ins continue to be a major problem all across south Georgia. One victim in Americus is worried about how crooks got in his car, even though it was locked.More >>

Firefighters urge smokers to discard their cigarettes safely, as thrown away cigarettes started a fire at an Albany apartment complex.

Firefighters responded to Hidden Oaks apartments about midnight Thursday. They say thrown cigarettes on a balcony started the fire.

Crews put it out quickly but say if it had spread to the wall, it could have burned the entire 4-unit building.

"These cigarettes were a bunch of them just smoldering in the area," said Rubin Jordan with Albany Fire Department. "If that had went on unnoticed, we would have had a major fire at those apartments."

Firefighters say smoking materials are one of the leading causes of structure fires.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.