Two seriously burned in kitchen gasoline fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Two seriously burned in kitchen gasoline fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
  • Dougherty County School System has Open House

    Dougherty County School System has Open House

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:19:35 GMT
    Valerie Williams, Radium Springs Middle School PrincipalValerie Williams, Radium Springs Middle School Principal
    Dougherty County parents and students got to meet old and new faces at their schools this evening.The school system held an open house at each school for families to meet the staff and learn what to expect for the upcoming school year.More >>
    Dougherty County parents and students got to meet old and new faces at their schools this evening.The school system held an open house at each school for families to meet the staff and learn what to expect for the upcoming school year.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters say a dangerous practice in a South Albany home caused the fire that injured Myrtice Pullins and her son Robert Pullins early Tuesday morning.

Gasoline in the kitchen is to blame for the fire that broke out just before 2 a.m. at a home on Sunny Lane.

"The occupant had been taking a gas can and measuring out gas to put in a vehicle," said Sam Harris with Albany Fire Dept. "He got some on his hands and flicked it to get it over the sink, and the stove was next to the sink igniting the gas and catching the house on fire."

Myrtice Pullins and her son Robert Pullins were rushed to the hospital with serious burns. Myrtice was later airlifted to an Augusta burn center.

Firefighter Josh Howell was also injured while fighting the fire, when a board fell from the ceiling on the back porch.

"I was getting ready to go to sleep and I looked over, [I] looked over across over there and I could see the big flames coming from the top of the roof," said neighbor Joe Leonard.

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to put out the flames.

"[The] First unit found heavy fire and smoke coming out of the rear of the house and started to spread through the attic," said Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose.

Fire officials warn against bringing anything flammable inside of a building, especially anywhere with a gas stove and a pilot light, or with a gas water heater.

Fire officials said the home is 40 percent damaged and the rest is smoke and heat damage throughout the house.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.