Firefighters say a dangerous practice in a South Albany home caused the fire that injured Myrtice Pullins and her son Robert Pullins early Tuesday morning.
Gasoline in the kitchen is to blame for the fire that broke out just before 2 a.m. at a home on Sunny Lane.
"The occupant had been taking a gas can and measuring out gas to put in a vehicle," said Sam Harris with Albany Fire Dept. "He got some on his hands and flicked it to get it over the sink, and the stove was next to the sink igniting the gas and catching the house on fire."
Myrtice Pullins and her son Robert Pullins were rushed to the hospital with serious burns. Myrtice was later airlifted to an Augusta burn center.
Firefighter Josh Howell was also injured while fighting the fire, when a board fell from the ceiling on the back porch.
"I was getting ready to go to sleep and I looked over, [I] looked over across over there and I could see the big flames coming from the top of the roof," said neighbor Joe Leonard.
It took firefighters about 15 minutes to put out the flames.
"[The] First unit found heavy fire and smoke coming out of the rear of the house and started to spread through the attic," said Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose.
Fire officials warn against bringing anything flammable inside of a building, especially anywhere with a gas stove and a pilot light, or with a gas water heater.
Fire officials said the home is 40 percent damaged and the rest is smoke and heat damage throughout the house.