Judge orders trial to move forward for AZ sex assault suspect - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE

Judge orders trial to move forward for AZ sex assault suspect

Tyler Kost (Source: Pinal County Sheriff's Office) Tyler Kost (Source: Pinal County Sheriff's Office)
Tyler Kost (Source: Facebook) Tyler Kost (Source: Facebook)
(Source: Facebook) (Source: Facebook)
SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ (CBS5) -

Trial for an Arizona teen accused of multiple sex crimes against underage girls in the San Tan Valley area can move forward, a Pinal County Superior Court judge ruled Friday. 

Tyler Kost, 18, of San Tan Valley, is accused of sexually assaulting 13 victims between 2009 to 2014.

Judge Kevin White denied a motion by the defense which would have remanded the man's case back to the grand jury, according to court documents.

The defense alleged the state presented the grand jury with improper evidence. The judge  took their argument under advisement, but ultimately denied it.

"The Court rules that the State's presentation of evidence to the grand jury did not amount to a denial of a substantial procedural right that would require dismissal or remand of any of the counts in the indictment," court documents stated.

Earlier this year, Kost was indicted three times, on three separate occasions, by a Pinal County Grand Jury.

Pinal County Attorney's Office spokesman Jim Knupp said Kost faces 30 charges from the three indictments, ranging from sexual abuse with a minor to child molestation.

Nearly all of the victims are high school students, according to PCSO spokesman Sgt. Pat Ramirez. Sheriff's investigators said they discovered one girl was 13 years old. The oldest girl is 17. Each encounter happened within a three-year period.

Kost was a student at Poston Butte High School. After he was apprehended the first time, he was booked into the Pinal County Jail on two counts of sexual assault and two counts of sexual misconduct with a minor related to one of the cases. 

A spokesman with the Florence Unified School District said Kost was suspended from school.

In one case, Kost threatened, harassed and told one of the victims to kill herself, deputies said. The girl followed through and attempted suicide and was hospitalized, Ramirez said.

While in the hospital, she allegedly got a message from Kost, threatening that if she returned to school he would "make her life a living hell," Ramirez said.

Fearful of returning, she packed up and moved out of state, Babeu said.

In another case, a victim became pregnant after she was allegedly raped, PCSO said. 

"One of the victims actually became pregnant because of the sexual assault, and she subsequently had an abortion," Babeu said. "These are horrible crimes that cannot be tolerated in our community."

The arrest came after a Pinal County sheriff's detective assigned to the Persons Crimes Bureau got a tip. Initially, the tipster told PCSO that there were five victims.

Around the same time, officials with the Florence Unified School District say Kost came into the office to report being bullied. At that time, he was not aware there was a simultaneous investigation of the sex assaults with Kost as a suspect, as well as the bully allegations.

School officials said the thinking was that Kost was being bullied in relation to rumors among students that he was involved in the alleged assaults.

Detectives opened an investigation and identified eight other girls who claimed they had been sexually assaulted, sexually abused and molested by Kost, Ramirez said.  

The alleged attacks happened at several places.

"He would assault these young female victims in their own bedrooms, in his bedroom, in the desert, at a community pool, at community parks," Babeu said. 

Detectives said because he looked young and innocent, many people didn't perceive him as a threat.

Gentry Gillespie lives just two doors down from Kost. The father of four said he planned to have a talk with his kids as soon as they got home from school.

He also expressed words of encouragement for the victims.

"They're brave and if there are more of them out there then they need to come out, too, so this kid gets justice and maybe a little closure for them, too," he said.

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Woman arrested for elderly abuse in Moultrie

    Woman arrested for elderly abuse in Moultrie

    Friday, March 24 2017 2:12 PM EDT2017-03-24 18:12:00 GMT
    (Source:WALB)(Source:WALB)

    Carolyn Edwards is now charged with Two counts of Simple Battery and two counts of Exploitation Of an Elderly Person. According to a report, the victim was an 87 year old patient. So far it hasn't been confirmed if Edwards was the caretaker of that man but that the incident did happen at Magnolia Manor in Moultrie.

    More >>

    Carolyn Edwards is now charged with Two counts of Simple Battery and two counts of Exploitation Of an Elderly Person. According to a report, the victim was an 87 year old patient. So far it hasn't been confirmed if Edwards was the caretaker of that man but that the incident did happen at Magnolia Manor in Moultrie.

    More >>
  • Young Tifton actress makes her mark in Hollywood

    Young Tifton actress makes her mark in Hollywood

    Friday, March 24 2017 1:00 PM EDT2017-03-24 17:00:22 GMT
    Caitlin Carmichael and Luke Colombero (Source: Frank Sayles, Jr.)Caitlin Carmichael and Luke Colombero (Source: Frank Sayles, Jr.)

    Actress Caitlin Carmichael, 12, a Tifton native, is among an ensemble cast of child actors who won a Young Entertainer Award at Universal Studios in Hollywood, California.

    More >>

    Actress Caitlin Carmichael, 12, a Tifton native, is among an ensemble cast of child actors who won a Young Entertainer Award at Universal Studios in Hollywood, California.

    More >>
  • Long-awaited rest stop opens Monday

    Long-awaited rest stop opens Monday

    Friday, March 24 2017 11:53 AM EDT2017-03-24 15:53:05 GMT
    (Source: GA Dept. of Transportation)(Source: GA Dept. of Transportation)

     The Georgia Department of Transportation announced Friday that the newly refurbished Interstate 75 north and south rest areas in Turner County will reopen Monday.

    More >>

     The Georgia Department of Transportation announced Friday that the newly refurbished Interstate 75 north and south rest areas in Turner County will reopen Monday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly