Albany Armory will honor Manning - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany Armory will honor Manning

Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

The Georgia Army National Guard is renaming the Albany Armory to the Command Sgt. Maj. Billy G. Manning Readiness Center after the late Command Sgt. Maj. Billy Manning on April 28th, 2014 at 1:00 p.m.

Manning retired from the Georgia National Guard as the first full time senior enlisted advisor to the Adjutant General.

It is fitting that this armory is renamed after him since he joined the Georgia Army National Guard in 1954 and served in the Albany armory first.   Born and raised in Lee County, Command Sgt. Maj. Manning graduated from Lee County High School in 1954 and quickly enlisted into 2nd Battalion, 121st Infantry Regiment out of Albany.

He then served on active duty from 1958 until 1960 when he rejoined the Ga. NG as a full time technician. His assignments include: Platoon Sergeant, First Sergeant, Battalion Operations Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge, Battalion Command Sergeant Major, and finally in 1985 he served as the State Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Adjutant General.

Command Sgt. Maj. Ret. Billy G. Manning died Monday, Nov. 4, 2013. The Georgia Army National Guard consists of more than 11,100 Citizen-Soldiers training in more than 57 hometown armories and regional facilities across the state. Georgia's Army Guard is the eighth largest in the nation, and includes combat, combat support and combat service support units.

The Georgia Army National Guard is organized into six major subordinate commands: the 48th Infantry Brigade Combat Team in Macon; the 78th Troop Command, the 78th Aviation Troop Command and 201st Regional Support Command at Clay National Guard Center in Marietta; the Cumming based 560th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade; and the 648th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade in Columbus at Fort Benning. 

 

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.