Apartment fire displaces one in Albany - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Apartment fire displaces one in Albany

Posted: Updated:
Capt. Bruce Bennett Capt. Bruce Bennett
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Fire officials say an elderly man was cooking and left grease unattended on a stove.

It happened early Tuesday afternoon at Gardens Too Apartments near the 1200 block of Whispering Pines.

Firefighters say the damage is minor but the tenant will not be able to stay there until repairs are finished.

Albany Fire Department Captain Bruce Bennett says keeping a reminder while you are cooking can prevent fires like this.

"Walk around with a spoon in your hand so you can remind yourself that you're cooking," said Bennett. "Don't get distracted. Pay attention to what's going on, 'cause it doesn't take long [for a fire to start]."

Crews say the number of kitchen fires from unattended food cooking continues to grow.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.