Poison prevention month: how to keep your family safe
Bleach and alcohol are dangerous chemicals
Cleaners and medication can be harmful if ingested.
EMS, Steve Abel
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
A child's safety is a priority for many parents and we do what we can to ensure it. However, sometimes it can be small careless mistakes we make that can put our child in danger, such as leaving a bottle of medicine out or not locking up your cleaning supplies.
According to poisonprevention.org 90% of accidental poisoning occur at home and the majority of them involve kids under the age of 6. Dougherty County EMS supervisor Steve Abel says he sees it often, most commonly with medicine but also in situations related to house-hold products such laundry detergent, dish washing soap or floor cleaners.
Abel recommends to avoid reusing soda bottles to hold cleaning products because the label or even the look of the container can confuse kids causing them to drink out of them getting sick.
"Most recently we had on my shift is a child who ingested some Clorox and I mean you can just smell it on the child, and you know its the parents responsibility to keep an eye on these kids," Abel said.
Some things to remember if you believe your child has been poisoned is to remain calm. You will have to relay information to the poison control center or emergency responders and need to be focused to give out the child's age, weight, information on any health conditions they may have, know the substance, how the child was contacted with the chemical, when it happened and if they have vomited.
It's important to keep notes of the incident as well as having emergency numbers handy.
Poison Control Center contact number: 1-800-222-1222