Fire officials believe grill may have sparked Albany house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials believe grill may have sparked Albany house fire

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA - (WALB) -

Fire officials say a grill might be to blame for a fire that gutted an Albany Home early Monday morning.

The blaze broke out around 5:30 a.m. inside the bedroom of this house on East 1st Avenue.

Fire crews spoke to the renters of the home, who said the house was being used as storage, including the grill that was left inside the bedroom.

"The fire started in the same room where the grill was located, but we'll go from there," said Fire Chief James Carswell. "At this point it is undetermined in our investigation."

The home has now been declared unlivable. "The back part of the house is burnt all the way through the ceiling," said Kelly Harcrow, Battalion Chief. "It's too much structural damage, that they'll have to do some major repairs."

No one was inside the home when the fire started. There were no injuries.

Copyright 2014 WALB. All rights reserved.